Monday, April 26, 2010

The Drums


The Drums, the indie-pop band from New York, are the band of the month. Everyone's talking about them. People who are worth talking to are anyway.
'I Felt Stupid' and 'Let's Go Surfing' are simply lovely. Catchy and innocent. And summery! Again! More! Bring on the summer tunes!
So far they've only released the EP Summertime in 2009. Although that's understandable considering The Drums have only existed since 2008. I am waiting in anticipation for their self-titled debut album coming out in June.
For me, they are reminiscent of Jan & Dean (particularly the above picture). The rock 'n' roll duo were popular in the early '60s and are an early example of the surf music craze. Their most famous song is 'Surf City' (It appeared on the Brice de Nice soundtrack, which is also the reason I know about them. The film, about a silly wannabe surfer, is a French classic in my opinion - although apparently that's not universally thought as it has a 4.7/10 rating on IMDb).

I leave you with the fact that both Morrissey and Johnny Marr have been spotted at their gigs. Oh yes. They must be good.


No comments:

Post a Comment