Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Caribou




Well I haven't posted anything for over a year now - how lazy of me... Parties to attend, exams to pass, you know.

The 19th of April 2010 was graced with the release of the album Swim by Caribou. The story is that he had never learned to swim until a year ago when his wife got him lessons for Christmas. He soon became obsessed, swimming everyday, and titled Caribou's next release 'Swim'.
Caribou is a Canadian - don't hold it against him - electronica person. His actual name is Daniel Snaith but he likes to go by the name Caribou (previously it was Manitoba but a so-called musician, a punk-rock New Yorker named Richard Manitoba, had threatened to sue him... Americans!). He is frequently compared to Four Tet who is also a 30-something year old electro with a moniker (he too, coincidentally, has just released a fab album named 'There Is Love In You').
I didn't get around to buying it yesterday (actually, embarrassingly, I thought the album was going to be released today so imagine my dismay when I saw that it had been out for a whole 24 hours before I purchased it - very uncool).
Where was I? Oh yes so I bought the album off iTunes, obviously Amazon is slightly cheaper but I forgot for a split second, all this revision seems to be making me somewhat slightly dazed.
It's great. It's more of the same from the previous album Andorra, which was fantastic. The best tracks on Andorra were 'Melody Day' and 'She's The One'. This album has some added Hot Chip-ness about it - particularly 'Odessa', the opening track.
'Sun' is similar yet different. The only lyric is the word 'sun' which is repeated over and over throughout the song. It's quite psychedelic. I like.

You can listen to the album on Spotify and buy it on Amazon or iTunes.


--- I have just realised that the album cover for 'Swim' is (perhaps on purpose?) practically identical to Hot Chip's 'Made In The Dark'... I don't know why this is. Quite strange.

1 comment: