Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Matthew Lessner

A couple of months ago, I discovered two music videos that really stuck out in my mind. I rooted out some information, i.e. did some googling, and found that both were directed by the same man. This man is named Matthew Lessner.
He's an American filmmaker who has also written and directed a short film, which has very good reviews, starring Michael Cera (the Superbad and Arrested Development guy).

Anyhow, I won't let you wait any longer. Here are the two videos:



The first is the video for 'Stillness Is The Move' by Dirty Projectors, an "experimental rock band" (this is according to Wikipedia.. I wouldn't really call it rock). Amber Coffman (the frontwoman) has a unique and powerful voice, rather like Florence Welch's or even Bjork's. The eccentric looks of the women are likable, there are no boring-to-look-at-blondes; their clothes and make-up are alluring. The landscape is magnificent, almost fictional. The location is Mount Equinox, in Vermont. For me purity is a word that comes to mind when watching the video.



This is 'Surprise Hotel' by Fool's Gold, a Californian band with 11 members. I love the vibrant colours, the lively joyful elderly, the singing in Hebrew and the obvious African influence. I find the Western-African mix rather unusual. There's also some Brazilian stuff going on there I think, as there's either a snare or a caixa and shakers (these are Samba instruments - I played repinique mostly when I was in a Samba band called Rhythms Of Resistance. I started when I was 10 years old. Here's a picture of me I just found playing agogo on a march. I'm half everyone's size).
Anyway, the video is so atmospheric, it makes me will for summer to come sooner and to go traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Problem is, the word 'rock' is like the word 'pop' in that it's kind of constraining: there just aren't enough words to describe the brilliant variety of modern music. I really like Dirty Projectors and this video. Seen them a few times at ATP, and I just think they are unusual and proud of it.

    Also, Michael Cera is way more than just 'the Arrested Development/Superbad guy'. He's also my future husband.

    ReplyDelete